Reckoning (Silver Blackthorn #1) by Kerry Wilkinson

Rating: 
Title: The Reckoning
Series: Silver Blackthorn Trilogy, #1
Author: Kerry Wilkinson
Publication Date: July 1, 2014

One girl. One chance. One destiny. 
In the village of Martindale, hundreds of miles north of the new English capital of Windsor, sixteen-year-old Silver Blackthorne takes the Reckoning. This coming-of- age test not only decides her place in society – Elite, Member, Inter or Trog – but also determines that Silver is to become an Offering for King Victor.
But these are uncertain times and no one really knows what happens to the teenagers who disappear into Windsor Castle. Is being an Offering the privilege everyone assumes it to be, or do the walls of the castle have something to hide? Trapped in a maze of ancient corridors, Silver finds herself in a warped world of suspicion where it is difficult to know who to trust and who to fear. The one thing Silver does know is that she must find a way out . . . The heart-stopping first book in a new trilogy by UK author Kerry Wilkinson, Reckoning is the story of one girl's determination to escape the whims of a cruel king, and what she must do to survive against all odds.



This book is one of the books I got from Singapore $50 Book Box Sale. And I can say that I am very happy that I picked up this book because it was really a great!

I really don't know what to expect, except it has a good feed backs from bookstagrammers and bloggers out there. And the minute I started reading, I got hooked and I jut can't seem to make myself stop reading.

First let me tell you how much this book reminds me of the Hunger Games.  It has a mixture of sci-fi, Young Adult and Dystopian genre. It was a little bit odd that I actually find it excitingly similar yet different from Hunger Games and Divergent but way more good and interesting than no other. 

The story centered on the event of Reckoning which determines their place and contribution in the society. Boys and Girls are classified into four;  Elite, Member, Inter and Trog .What is very confusing and not properly explained is how the Reckoning really works. The world-building is captivatingly narrated. It has an action-packed scenes and a very likable characters not to mention a very interesting and strong female lead character. Silver Blackthorn is my very much definition of strong heroine. She has this determination and that kind of presence of mind who thinks and plans before she acts. 

I stride towards Rush, who doesn't move until I am within a meter or two. He glaces sideways at Pietra, suddenly nervous , as if to ask whats going on. By the time he fixes his attention back to me, it is too late. 
.. I step away and watch him rolling on the floor . Aside from his groans , there is silence around the cabin...
Opie is my man, I don't know what Silver saw in Imrin but Opie is definitely my choice. Faith I love her character, aside form Silver, I think Faith is one of the strong female character in this book. I like how she doesn't care if she was a Trog but like it when she stands for herself and for what she thought is not right. Pietra Okay, I really don't know how to explain it but Pietra is exactly an epitome of a person who make a wrong decision in life and honestly regrets it everyday. I still do know where she's coming from, her way might not be right, but I do like her nonethless. Hart, I don't know what to think about him, but I have this nagging feeling that he will have a great part on the next book. I really love to see the Hart before the Reckoning, and I am utterly intrigued on what really happened to him. 
...when he left our village, Hart had a distinctive smile with large, well built arms that came from years of helping out with various things around the place.
...now his face is thin, the bones jutting into his cheeks, and there is hollowness around his eyes... 

What I also admire with the Author is how he could push his character's limits in a given situation. Some decisions and obstacles are thrown over its characters that makes its readers makes a glimpse of who truly they are and how much they are willing to take for the cause. There are a lot of sacrifices and lives that are lost, but I really admire how every one of them stands up and fight against the King's  viciousness.

This book is also unpredictable. Maybe it also one of the reason why I devour every minute reading it. Everything is so unexpected and I never thought the plot could be this good and exciting. I was caught off guard of how evil, barbaric, vicious, self-centered and gluttonous the king is. Every time he is mentioned I can't explain how afraid I felt for the characters. It feels like I'm also hanging on what craziness he might think of.

...the king continues to approach, passing me and walking around the edge of the table until he is standing next to Wray. 
...no body speaks or moves as the king pulls the sword back before thrusting forward..  
...I just see Wray's dead, frightened eyes asking for an answer I can't give him.. 

I finished this book in a matter of time. And I am already so eager to start the next book.


0 comments:

Post a Comment