Review: A Bond Of Venom and Magic by Karen Tomlinson [ARC]

Ranking: 
Title: A Bond of Venom and Magic
Series: The Goddess and the Guardians, #1
Author: Karen Tomlinson 
Expected Publication: October 14, 2016

The Wraith Lord is hunting; his prize, the key to unleashing darkness and Chaos upon the eight Kingdoms.
For Diamond Gillon the war raging in the south seems a remote danger until her home is brutally attacked. Having lost everything she holds dear, Diamond is catapulted into a terrifying new world in which legendary beasts arise, magic is condemned and half blood fae, like her, have no rights. Despite her growing feelings for her saviour, Commander Hugo Casimir, he remains a paradox – not only is he a heartless killer, he is owned by the cruel immortal fae queen; a queen who will murder her own people for magic.
As Diamond’s circumstances become ever more perilous she is drawn deeper into Hugo’s world and discovers the lengths to which he will go to save what he holds dear. Will Hugo become her friend, her protector, or – an enemy not worthy of her trust?
A Bond of Venom and Magic is a tale of two people bound by magic and secrets, but trapped in the complexities of love and betrayal. It is the beginning of an epic journey, one that will test Diamond’s resolve and determination to battle an evil that threatens not only her world but that of Eternity, the land of The Guardians and The Goddess.

First I wanted to thank Karen for trusting me with the ARC and allowing me to review this book. I've been seeing a lot of good feed backs about this and it really did deserve the ratings that it has! It has a rough start for me, but that didn't hold me back from enjoying the story from the beginning until the very end of this book.

The Characters and Romance. Okay, for one, I am really hoping that there would be a character development for Diamond in the second installment. There is a tendency for her to be completely dependent to Hugo. I just hate how she tends to be weak whenever Hugo is around, but I do love her fighting spirit. There is no insta love here, except there is a colossal amount of physical attraction and denial of feelings between the two Protagonists, specially Hugo.  But in the end I really admire Hugo. He's arrogant, rough and a little bit over bossy for me. But nonethless I just love his willingness to bear the pain of Diamond's hatred in exchange for her safety. It is indid a great love he felt for Diamond.

Interesting and Unique World Building. The writing style is a little bit confusing and clunky and it took me some time to get everything straight because the worldbuilding was somehow an infodump and unclear. But after I got the hang of it, everything fell into place. I got so hooked up I really can't stop myself from reading.

The Pacing. The start of the story just started fast and action-packed. Although the story got a little bit long specially their journey to Valentia, it didn't stop the flow of the story to be interesting.

Unexpected Allies and Enemy. Oh My, when I thought I already know who to trust, a wicked twist suddenly happened. And like Diamond, I'm totally shocked.

Overall,This book is totally good. It may took an effort to get through everything and figure out the world, but it seriously has SO MUCH POTENTIAL. I am already waiting for the next sequel of this book. I really wanted to see how Diamonds character will develop. I love the magic and the characters.  And it would really be nice to put some glossary in this book, wherein some terms, concepts, and places are being defined. This would have saved a lot of time for its readers to be able to catch up fast on the drift of the story. But overall, This book is a FANTASTIC READ!



0 comments:

Post a Comment