Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes


Ranking: 
Title: Falling Kingdoms
Series: Falling Kingdoms, #1
Author: Morgan Rhodes
Published: December 11, 2012
In the three kingdoms of Mytica, magic has long been forgotten. And while hard-won peace has reigned for centuries, a deadly unrest now simmers below the surface.

As the rulers of each kingdom grapple for power, the lives of their subjects are brutally transformed... and four key players, royals and rebels alike, find their fates forever intertwined. Cleo, Jonas, Lucia, and Magnus are caught in a dizzying world of treacherous betrayals, shocking murders, secret alliances, and even unforeseen love.

The only outcome that's certain is that kingdoms will fall. Who will emerge triumphant when all they know has collapsed?

It's the eve of war.... Choose your side.

Princess: Raised in pampered luxury, Cleo must now embark on a rough and treacherous journey into enemy territory in search of magic long thought extinct.

Rebel: Jonas, enraged at injustice, lashes out against the forces of oppression that have kept his country cruelly impoverished. To his shock, he finds himself the leader of a people's revolution centuries in the making.

Sorceress: Lucia, adopted at birth into the royal family, discovers the truth about her past—and the supernatural legacy she is destined to wield.

Heir: Bred for aggression and trained to conquer, firstborn son Magnus begins to realize that the heart can be more lethal than the sword....

I honestly don't know how I feel after finishing this book. At times, I feel like the story doesn't have any sense at all -- to the point where it wasn't very captivating. There are also a constant change in POV that had really gave me a challenge whether I should finish it or not.

The Characters. Cleiona Bellos, a princess of Auranos if you ask me is spoiled, weak, and self centered. But at the few last chapters, her character starts to become more acceptable and becomes stronger.  I didn't really like her since the beginning of the story, and regretfully I still felt the same after I finished the book. I don't know but maybe I am still blaming her for what started all the event between Auranos and Paelsia. Lucia Damora, the princess of Limeros who also happened to be naturally born in Paelsia, was like a shadow for me on this book. Well she is a sorceress, yeah. But her character pales in comparison with 3 other main characters. It was like the main point of the book was actually about her, having the power of all elementia but a little exposure. Actually I finished this book not knowing her real character. Tsk.
Magnus Damora, the prince of Limeros is the most compelling character in this book. He has his own weaknesses but he tends to strong and able to pull up straight face even if his feeling tells him the opposite. He I think is the most dangerous and unpredictable character in this book. He can be ruthless if he wants to. But he tends to be softer when it comes to Lucia. He grieve for killing Thanos. But he stands side by side with his father in conquering Auranos. He, compared to all the main character established a certain respect from me. He was actually the one I will be watching for in the next book. Jonas, a rebel from Paelsia, and the only non-royal in the 4 main characters are likable enough. I understand his eagerness for vengeance but I also kinda adore him that he was able to set aside his anger towards Cleoina for the good of his own people. You see, all the characters has their own flaws but I really had a hard time connecting with its characters. The constant change of POV has really been hard for me since there are 4 main characters in the story. I also don't know who to root for, it was like everyone of them is fighting their own battle and place. It was rather confusing and tiring after I read this book.

The Pace. It was kinda dull if you ask me. It takes me forever to finish this book. It usually takes me only less than a day to finish a book, but this really tested my patience in every level. I was really rooting for a more action-packed scenes. But was only at the last chapter that I was able to take my wish. And I seriously didn't enjoy it much. It lacks depth, there are no heart pounding pages. It felt like evrything is just too predictable.

The Wold-building. The only thing that keeps me entertained in this book is the legends and little pieces of history about Magic, Sorcerry and Witches. But still, I feel so helpless that I don't know where this tid bit of information will lead all the characters in this book. But still interesting enough for me.

Overall, like I said, I don't know who to root for. I am still a little bit disappointed on how this book turned out for me. And a lot of people compare this to Game of Thrones. Well, if the series was kinda like this book, I think I don't want to see it anymore. I just hate all the killings, there a lot of characters that all thrown away and killed with such careless manner. There are things to unravel yes, but it wasn't that good enough for me to pick up the next book of this series. I liked the book, but it didn't pull me in.



0 comments:

Post a Comment