A Promise of Fire by Amanda Bouchet [eARC]

Ranking: +
Title: A Promise of Fire
Series: The Kingmaker Chronicles, #1
Author: Amanda Bouchet
Expected Publication: August 2, 2016
Catalia "Cat" Fisa is a powerful clairvoyant known as the Kingmaker. This smart-mouthed soothsayer has no interest in her powers and would much rather fly under the radar, far from the clutches of her homicidal mother. But when an ambitious warlord captures her, she may not have a choice…

Griffin is intent on bringing peace to his newly conquered realm in the magic-deprived south. When he discovers Cat is the Kingmaker, he abducts her. But Cat will do everything in her power to avoid her dangerous destiny and battle her captor at every turn. Although up for the battle, Griffin would prefer for Cat to help his people willingly, and he's ready to do whatever it takes to coax her…even if that means falling in love with her.

I received a free digital copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank You so much Amanda and to the Publisher of this amazing book!

Warning: Some spoilers maybe discussed in this book review. But I will try hard not to mention too much. Just much that will convince you to read this book. (Hahaha)

"Your mine now Cat. Don't you dare die on me."

I'm catching fire! My mind is at its worst bookhangover and containing my emotions chapter after chapter is harder than I thought. YES! That is how eminently and incredibly GREAT this book is!  5 stars might not even be enough to do the story justice, it deserves way more than 5 stars! Woot! Woot! Either way, there’s no denying that I easily fell in love with this book. And I just loved to have the book in my hands. I might kiss it once it arrived in my doorstep! Oh God! This book take out the insane part of me everytime I read such an amazing book. So yeah pardon my babbling and squeal-like review for today. *wink*

The incredible world-building: As far as mythological settings go, this one certainly did not fail! It was quite addictive; the mixture mythological Gods, creatures and humans are kinda entertaining and unique that distinguish the story to other Fantasy-based novels. The story’s world-building is wonderfully intertwined and executed that makes me intrigued and craving for more details behind the main heroine's past. It has a spectacular showdown of magic and power. A page turner from the first page up to the very last.

The story’s leading heroine: I am actually a fan of a very independent and strong willed woman. This book definitely has a very good example of a strong, independent, well capable kind of heroine. Cat is strong-willed, fiercely independent woman. She has an admirable brave character, and a very loving heart for the people who became her family. Her past is dark, was tortured at the young age because of what she is and maybe because what she is capable of in the future. But it certainly did not hinder her heart to be a good person. She can be a fierce warrior if she wanted to be but certainly her stubborness in a lot of things might be the way for you to fall in love with her character. She has kick-ass skills. Yes! Skills! Not only one, not just two, definitely not three. BUT A LOT OF SKILLS! (Well I can't blaim her, if I have a homicidal and sadist mother like her I might be the same just to survive everything).

The heroine's love interest: I loved Griffin. There is a balance in his character. His a fierce warrior, he is willing to kill if needed to be, but he has a very compassionate heart to his family, his friends, his people and he was specially so patient with Cat. Yeah! You can see the picture: Cat grumpy and whining, hitting him whenever Griffin annoyed the hell out of her. And Griffin, mostly just looking at her like she's one-of-a-hell the most insane person he had ever known or Is she on drugs kind of look. I loved their chemistry, I was really not a fan of an instant love. But somehow, how the story progresses between them is just right. I love it, I was actually looking for a more Griffin and Cat moments in the second book.

The Camarederie. Friendship. Loyalty. Brotherhood. Selflessness. This are one of the major good points of this book. Carver, Kato, and Flynn's characters are what every people would want for a team. They added spark and excitement in the story. If you read this book, I'm sure you will feel the warmth of their presence in Cat's life.

Overall, Amanda is a promising author, A promise of Fire certainly wormed its way to my best and favorite books for this year. And I will certainly keep my eyes out for more of her works. Not to mention, I am already dying to have the second sequel of this book.


0 comments:

Post a Comment