The Ghost and The Goth by Stacey Kade

Ranking:

Title: The Ghost and The Goth

Series: The Ghost and The Goth , #1

Author: Stacey Kade
Alona Dare–Senior in high school, co-captain of the cheerleading squad, Homecoming Queen three years in a row, voted most likely to marry a movie star… and newly dead.

I’m the girl you hated in high school. Is it my fault I was born with it all-good looks, silky blond hair, a hot body, and a keen sense of what everyone else should not be wearing? But my life isn’t perfect, especially since I died. Run over by a bus of band geeks—is there anything more humiliating? As it turns out, yes—watching your boyfriend and friends move on with life, only days after your funeral. And you wouldn’t believe what they’re saying about me now that they think I can’t hear them. To top it off, I’m starting to disappear, flickering in and out of existence. I don’t know where I go when I’m gone, but it’s not good. Where is that freaking white light already?

Will Killian–Senior in high school, outcast, dubbed “Will Kill” by the popular crowd for the unearthly aura around him, voted most likely to rob a bank…and a ghost-talker.
I can see, hear, and touch the dead. Unfortunately, they can also see, hear and touch me. Yeah, because surviving high school isn’t hard enough already. I’ve done my best to hide my “gift.” After all, my dad, who shared my ability, killed himself because of it when I was fifteen. But lately, pretending to be normal has gotten a lot harder. A new ghost—an anonymous, seething cloud of negative energy with the capacity to throw me around—is pursuing me with a vengeance. My mom, who knows nothing about what I can do, is worrying about the increase in odd incidents, my shrink is tossing around terms like “temporary confinement for psychiatric evaluation,” and my principal, who thinks I’m a disruption and a faker, is searching for every way possible to get rid of me. How many weeks until graduation?
"She shrugged and flipped her glossy hair behind her shoulders. "What else do you have to do with your time besides think about stuff like this? It's not like you're real heavy into extracurriculars. Besides, you're all, like, goth and into the dead, right?"

Alona Dare, queen of the insult-compliment. "Wow. Thanks. Anyone ever tell you you're good with people?"
She frowned. "No."
"Good. I'm not goth."
"Your hair is black, you have piercings, you wear black all the time and act all freaky-"
"My hair is naturally this color. I have three earings in one ear, that's it. This shirt" -I tugged at the fabric across my chest- "is navy blue, and if I act weird all the time, it's because of ghosts like you." — Stacey Kade (The Ghost and the Goth) 

 I have to admit, I was caught by the cute cover as well as the title when I first saw it.. At first I was a little bit afraid that this book might be a waste of time to read. But When I started reading the book, all my assumptions are gone. This is indeed a nice book to read specially by young adults.
Alona Dare, popular, beautiful, admired by lots of men, and envied by women. But despite the perfect life she has an alcoholic mother and a distant father. Will Killian, unpopular, gothic, good-looking looking.. Oh yeah.. he can see dead people. His Dad committed suicide and his mother wont accept that He has a "gift". This two didn't exactly run in the same circles in high school, so trying to find a common ground proves to be difficult . And me, as a reader, getting the watch that struggle is pure amusement. The characters are fantastic that first I picture them with those big stereotypes but as the story progress I discovered more layers of their personalities. The Author make it a point to show how things aren't always what they seem to be.
" Having physical flaws doesnt mean you should rely on pity for the dates. Just because your life doesn't automatically worked out the way you want it doesn't mean you get to give up and expect the rest of the world to work around you. You have to play within the system to Win."
- Alona Dare (The Ghost and the Gothic by Stacey Kade)
 I liked Alona's character, although she might be a person I might avoid during my high school days. I saw the depth in her character in the story. I cant help but compare Alona to Rachel McAdams' Regina from the movie 'Mean Girls'. But I dont think Alona was as ruthless as Regina. Having an alcoholic mother, and a father who moved out after the divorce, left and dumped his problems on his daughter's lap. Alona in return struggled to keep her two worlds apart.

And as the story goes by, Alona gets to know Will and his struggles and he gets to see her life wasn't so perfect either and that they both struggle with their own issues in life. This might be a paranormal story but at it's heart its really about two people who are total opposites looking past what is on the outside, the image thhey project and seeing what's really there. They helped each other in areas where they struggled. I can personally feel the progression of the characters. And Im' looking forward to the other book in the series.

0 comments:

Post a Comment